Facts all about:
Name Angelina Jolie
Birth name Angelina Jolie Voight
Birthday 4 June 1975
Star sign Gemini
Birthplace Los Angeles, California
Marriages Jonny Lee Miller, March 1996 - February 1999. Billy Bob Thornton, May 2000 - May 2003. Brad Pitt, August 2014 - present
Angelina Jolie was born in Los Angeles, California to actor parents Marcheline Bertrand and Oscar-winning Jon Voight.
She has an older brother named James Haven, who is also an actor. After her parents' separation in 1976, Angelina and James lived with their mother.
Aged 11, Angelina began studying at the Lee Strasberg Theatre Institute, where she was seen in several stage productions.
She undertook film studies at New York University and later joined the renowned Met Theatre Group in Los Angeles.
In the mid-1990s, Angelina was praised for her roles in various small films, such as Hackers and Foxfire.
She married her Hackers co-star Jonny Lee Miller in 1996. She reportedly wore a shirt that she'd written her husband's name on in blood.
The couple divorced three years later.
Her major break came in 1999 when she won a leading part in The Bone Collector alongside Denzel Washington.
In that same year, Angelina starred in Girl, Interrupted, which led her to win her second Golden Globe Award, a SAG Award and an Academy Award for Best Actress In A Supporting Role.
In 2000, she married her Pushing Tin co-star Billy Bob Thornton. During the marriage, the spouses each wore a vial of the other's blood around their necks. They split in 2002.
Angelina Jolie became an international superstar when Lara Croft: Tomb Raider was released in 2001.
In March 2002, she adopted her first child Maddox from an orphanage in Cambodia.
She then starred opposite future husband Brad Pitt in the 2005 action-comedy Mr & Mrs Smith.
Angelina adopted daughter Zahara from Ethiopia in July 2005. Brad, who had recently split from wife Jennifer Aniston, accompanied her.
On 19 January 2006, Angelina had her children's last names officially changed to Jolie-Pitt.
Angelina and Brad welcomed their first biological child together, daughter Shiloh, in May 2006 and they adopted son Pax from Vietnam in March 2007.
Twins Vivienne and Knox were born on 12 July 2008.
The couple announced their engagement in April 2012 after seven years together and married on 23 August 2014 in a private ceremony in France.
After a three-and-a-half-year absence from the screen, Angelina Jolie starred in Maleficent in 2014. The movie became her highest-grossing film to date.
Read full bio
Angelina Jolie news
I had my ovaries removed like Angelina Jolie. I'll never be able to have children. This is what it feels like...
- Emotional Michelle Heaton opens up about facing the same decision as Angelina Jolie: It was a no brainer… but there are really tough days
- Kelly Osbourne's heartbreaking confession: I've got the cancer gene - I'll get my ovaries removed like Angelina Jolie
- Angelina Jolie reveals she's had her ovaries removed. Her reasons will move you to tears
- Happy International Women's Day! 12 inspiring celebrity quotes that will make you feel powerful today
Angelina Jolie pictures
Celebrity Spy 25 June 2013
Celebrity Spy 21 June 2013
Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt attend the Screen Actors Guild Awards 2012
Angelina Jolie is Brad Pitt's sexy sidekick at New York Film Critics' Circle Awards
Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt are loved up at The Tourist premiere in Madrid
Brad Pitt visits Angelina Jolie in Budapest
Angelina Jolie shows off tattoos in revealing dress at Salt premiere
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie visit refugee camp
Angelina Jolie videos
- OMG! Watch Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt's AMAZING chemistry when they first met watch me
- Angelina Jolie arrives on the red carpet with Brad Pitt watch me
- Angelina Jolie visits the children of Africa watch me
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt get to know each other in Mr & Mrs Smith watch me
- Angelina Jolie tackles education crisis watch me
- Angelina Jolie debuts acting skills at the age of seven watch me