Whitney Houston cause of death was accidental drowning due to cocaine use and heart disease
Whitney Houston was high on cocaine when she died in her Beverly Hills hotel bathtub on 11 February.
An autopsy has found the singer's official cause of death was 'drowning and effects of atherosclerotic heart disease and cocaine use'.
Whitney, who battled a drug addiction through her career, appeared to have used coke 'in the time period prior to her collapse in the bathtub,' confirms coroner's spokesman Craig Harvey.
Her 'chronic' use of the drug had contributed to Whitney's heart disease and it's believed she suffered a heart attack before slipping under water.
The 48-year-old also had marijuana, Benadryl, Xanax and other medication in her system, but these didn't contribute to her passing.
'We are saddened to learn of the toxicology results,' Whitney's family say in a statement.
'Although we are glad to now have closure.'
Get your copy of Now's Whitney Houston tribute special issue online now at Zinio for £2.49 or buy in stores for £2.99.